Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Someday is NOT a day of the week

One of my greatest illusions is that "Someday" I will have the time and courage to take action on my dreams and aspirations. One thing leads to another, life takes me for a long ride (instead of the other way around) and unlike Monday, Someday never comes. While I have been busy postponing things, half my life has sped on by. I question, "Have I used my years, my days, my minutes wisely?" Yes and no.
 
Rather than beat up on myself, my childhood, my choices and the like, today I choose to take on 2013 from a different vantage point. Today is the day I stop living for Somedays and start living in the gloriously imperfect here and now. For me, this means embracing flaws, ignoring limitations, (as I often fixate on them) and living life fully while I am here. I've discovered without risk, nothing new ever happens. And I find myself suddenly sickened by the status quo. What have I been waiting for? Perfect days, a perfect body, perfect timing, perfectly perfected talent and ability...  At fifty, I've discovered perfection is an illusion. At best it's perception.
 
There's something (rather several somethings) that I've earmarked for Someday. My Someday begins now, in 2013. I am finally realizing that it's far easier to get started by taking one small action now instead of some grand action Someday. Today I will eat more colorful fruits and veggies (maybe not eat all raw). Today I will take a yoga class in hopes of becoming a Yogi one day. This month I am going back to college (again) and I'm taking a few classes each semester in hopes of finishing a degree of some sort. Today I write (because I love to) not just because secretly I have wanted to be a writer ever since I could hold a pencil and form sentences. And (not to brag) at age seven, I was esteemed a great writer. There... I finally said it out loud. Wide Open Wednesdays resume today with the hope of becoming so much more.  After all, a dream without action is just a wish...
 
 
Julia

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. Please keep writing! We all need permission to try something even when the moment is not perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too welcome you back. I have missed your inspirational thoughts. You share words to live by. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete