Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Be the Change

My January (note to self) chalkboard was inspired by my sister, Lynn. She will forever and always be a cheerleader... my cheerleader and a cheerleader to many others as well. I would be lying if I didn't admit to (for over a few decades now) secretly rolling my eyes about this way of thinking and rejecting it as a mantra of sorts (at least for more than twenty seconds) when she would so often suggest to me, "Be the Change, Julie." In case you don't know me, I will publicly confess here and now to being the sister whose energy goes down... down... down when things are less than ideal. I have been accused of "sucking the life" right out of Lynn (and others) when things go badly. I'm told I can sometimes drain a room without saying a thing. I am the wah...wah... wah... (think baby or sad trombone) to her Rah! Rah! Rah! (think pep rally, pom poms and life coach)! I think by now  you get the picture!

My blog is dedicated to her today. The little sister who has inspired me to be the change I want to see in myself... in the world! In 2013 I've decided:

  • to be the spouse I want in my marriage 
  • to be the art and the creativity that motivates me and breathes life 
  • to be the woman who inspires me
  • to be the voice that speaks with gentleness
  • to be the mother the world gathers around
  • to be the friend I can confide in
  • to be the sister I can rely on
  • to be the mother in law I never had
  • to be the example of Him that lights my path
  • to be the balance I seek
  • to be a companion, not a critic
  • to be the health and sanity I want for years to come
I CAN BREATHE when I approach my life this way. I didn't get it before and I do now. Thank you, My Sister. It would be so much harder to navigate my life without you in it. I love you! xxoo

Julia



3 comments:

  1. I like this post because it reminds me of my husband who always tells me that 'actions speak louder than words'. When I give him the song and dance about how I am going to do this or that...he just says - 'let's see'. Sometimes that discourages me, but most the time I get totally motivated (probably in the 'I'm gonna show you' way - but still he is right. It is also this way with apologies. You can SAY your sorry a bunch of times, but when you can change what you do that hurts others that makes a world of difference - literally. Hmmm. Did you touch on a chord here with me? I think so!! Have a wonderful wide open week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She will forever and always be a cheerleader... my cheerleader and a cheerleader to many others as well."

    This is oh-so-true. I'd like to add my profound admiration for her as well. She was my first "Fillweber Girl", but all three of you have remained special to me over the years. I think having a sister would be a wonderful life-long love, different than having a brother (whom I do love, in spite of bumps in the road). Julie, you are again hitting personal notes and making us think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. I appreciate your insight and for you taking taking the time to read my little blog. xo

    ReplyDelete